The key concern of Tobacco Control would be to offer a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and methods which are prone to further the objectives of a comprehensive tobacco control policy. The introduction should indicate why the research reported or issues discussed are important in terms of controlling tobacco use, and the discussion section should include an analysis of how the research reported contributes to tobacco control objectives in papers submitted for review.
Papers firmly anchored to a strategic policy and programme context are more inclined to be accepted for book. While the log seeks to achieve a readership that is international writers should think about whether their intended submissions target dilemmas or themes, that are probably be of great interest to scientists doing work in other countries. Extremely parochial problems, that incorporate few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are not likely to get priority that is high. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking maybe perhaps not offer priority that is high:
- Studies of cigarette smoking prevalence as well as its correlates. They are most suitable to nationwide journals. Few individuals residing outside country want in whether that nation has 30% or 35% of cigarette cigarette smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of specific populace teams or medical researchers. Once more, they are better suited to national journals or even to wellness speciality that is professional. Few individuals in other nations are usually enthusiastic about (for instance) whether nurses in a local medical center are enthusiastic about helping patients quit. Nationwide studies, and people taking studies that are such initial areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are documents with findings that appear to hold no apparent value for changing policy or training in tobacco control. They frequently show methodological finery, but take us anywhere don’t essential or interesting.
- Advice pieces where in actuality the viewpoints are unoriginal, badly argued, naive or neglect for essential ethical problems in favor of sloganeering.
- Papers that show the writers haven’t exposed Tobacco Control plus don’t understand its main consider tobacco control in place of on tobacco and its particular usage and wellness effects. We have been enthusiastic about such documents, but only when their writers address the implications of these findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, deadly methodological issues.
- Documents on topics that need extremely technical or language that is discipline-specific to be grasped because of the majority of visitors.
- Documents that are replications of currently well-established findings or provide little new information.
- Regional studies where in actuality the implications for the journal’s audience that is international uncertain.
- Reports written for governments or neighborhood health authorities that some body thought resume writer could be provided an instant make-over and presented as a log paper.
Tobacco Control adheres into the greatest criteria concerning its editorial policies on book ethics, clinical misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To see all BMJ Journal policies please relate to the BMJ Author Hub policies web page.
Articles are posted under a licence that is exclusive non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY is applicable. The terms are as stated in accordance with our licence terms for US Federal Government officers or employees acting as part of their official duties. Writers or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles may be reused beneath the regards to the appropriate imaginative Commons licence to facilitate reuse of this content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence for the Creative that is applicable commons.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will likely not think about for publication papers reporting work funded, in entire or in component, with a tobacco business or tobacco industry company. Nor will the journal consider documents by writers whom accept tobacco industry funding, including financing for research costs, for several or element of any author’s income, or other types of individual remuneration. For more info, please check this out editorial offering the thinking behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare interests that are competing distribution, or whenever a write-up is commissioned, can lead to instant rejection of this paper. In case a interest that is competing to light after book, Tobacco Control will issue an official modification to or retraction of this entire paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is ready to think about documents based wholly or perhaps in part on product previously posted on line. Nevertheless writers must look into an editorial with this topic: Prior book on line: brand brand new log policy. The editor keeps the customary directly to make modifications however you like and when essential to reduce, aided by the approval associated with author(s), material accepted for publication. Any written or illustrative product that happens to be published elsewhere must certanly be duly recognized and followed closely by the penned consent for the copyright owner (this can be the publisher as opposed to the writer).
Under unique circumstances the place where a paper’s findings have straight away appropriate policy implications warranting urgent publication, manuscripts could be fast tracked prior to the normal queue of papers. In the event which you feel which you have actually good explanations why this is certainly real for the paper, please information these in a resume cover letter, describing the necessity of your projects for the field while the explanation you’re feeling it’s of adequate value to be managed urgently. This demand doesn’t guarantee that the editors will concur, and just a couple of documents per year will soon be expedited with this foundation, nonetheless it can help the editors to judge the paper’s value within the present context.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on e cigarettes should make use of the term ‘electronic cigarettes’ on very very first usage, and after that the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be applied. Documents on other smoking distribution systems may continue using the definition of ‘electronic smoking distribution systems’ accompanied by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after very first usage.
Whenever uploading a revised manuscript, writers must also consist of a different manuscript file showcasing the tracked changes to show the editors the huge difference through the past variation. The monitored modifications document should always be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Analysis gu > that is reporting
BMJ calls for conformity towards the reporting that is following. Please upload the appropriate finished list for the study type together with your distribution, and label it “Research checklist”. This can be indicated on the submission form if no relevant checklist is available for your study type.
CONSORT statement – Required for all randomised managed studies
PRISMA statement – necessary for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for several financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for several research that is diagnostic
STROBE statement – necessary for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for several quality enhancement studies
Guidance and kinds can be found from EQUATOR.
We welcome video clip abstracts to come with accepted research articles. These allow authors to physically talk through their work beyond the limitations of the formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note that individuals will likely not request you to think about publishing a video clip abstract until your paper happens to be accepted. Please don’t try to upload a video clip abstract upon initial distribution of one’s manuscript.
There are lots of tutorials online which could guide the creation of a video clip abstract, using commonly and sometimes software that is freely available. Windows film Maker and Apple iMovie would be the many examples that are common. Samples of video clip abstracts can be obtained from The BMJ. Listed here are a few directions for making a video clip abstract. Writers may also wish to ask their institution’s press/media workplace for help.
- Movie abstracts should not keep going longer than 4 moments.
- The information and concentrate regarding the video clip must connect straight to the study that’s been accepted for book, and may maybe maybe maybe not stray beyond the info. We advice you proceed with the exact same framework while the paper itself in other words. briefly outline the background/context associated with research, present your quest goal, outline the techniques utilized, provide the main element outcomes and then talk about the implications of this outcomes.
- The presentation and content associated with video clip should always be in a method plus in terms which will be understandable and available to a general audience that is medical. The primary language should be English, but we welcome subtitles in another language. Please avoid jargon that’ll not be acquainted to an extensive medical audience, and don’t make use of abbreviations.
- Writers frequently talk directly into the digital digital camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we enable the utilization of other appropriate artistic and audio material (such as for instance animations, videos, nevertheless photographs, figures, infographics). Should you want to make use of product from formerly posted work or off their sources, please receive the appropriate permissions through the appropriate publisher or copyright owner.